Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Lost? Go into the Light!...

My husband's 71st birthday was last week, and we used that excuse to go to St. Augustine Beach for a 3-day mini-vacation. We live in the "Vacation Capital of the World" (Orlando) so actually taking a vacation somewhere else is very rare for us.

Being away from home always makes us feel a little like "strangers in a strange land". Any time you change your familiar surroundings, it can be quite confusing. It's even more so when you're getting "on in years".

Whenever I'm away from home, in a hotel or visiting relatives, I consciously try to localize myself and locate "landmarks and signposts". Once the lights are turned off, I look around the room for slivers of light to judge where I am and where I need to go - when I need to "go" in the middle of the night. (But it's not easy trying to navigate by such flimsy constellations when you're half-asleep).

Well, for this trip, I got smart and took along
my own "low tech" GPS ("GoPeeSystem) - a night-light - to make my trip to the bathroom easier and safer. Worked like a charm! So from now on, I'll just leave the night-light in my suitcase and be ready to go on a moments notice.

It's always a good idea to sit for an extra minute or two before getting out of bed (no matter where you are), and
consciously ask yourself "Where am I and what day is this?" Those are little reality checks that can sometimes "bounce" unless you keep reminding yourself!

No comments: